The 64th Annual Golden Globe Awards air tonight on NBC at 8:00 p.m. EST. Here are five reasons I’ll be watching:
5. The award names, generally and specifically. The whole “Golden Globe” thing invites bawdy, immature comments. I seem to remember Bette Midler saying “How do ya like these Golden Globes?” one year, and I’m sure that wasn’t the first or last time that happened. Also, some of the specific award names are ridiculous: If the show runs too long, it’s their own fault for making people say “Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television.”
4. No Academy to thank (or to criticize). The Hollywood Foreign Press Association sometimes seems to collectively shrug and say, “Eh, why not her?” Even when their choices are boring, it sounds almost mysterious when people thank the “foreign press,” as if Sydney Bristow is going to show up any minute.
3. Miss Golden Globe. I don’t actually love this; rather, I enjoy mocking it. I mean, let’s take an undeserving princess who has no qualifications other than the happenstance of being related to a famous person, and then let’s give her a title and a scholarship. Oh, wait, there’s no scholarship? Right, because it’s a meaningless title that signifies nothing more than “You get to smile broadly and put these statuettes in people’s hands for the next three hours.”
2. Christine Lahti lingering too long in the ladies’ when they called her name in 1998. I may never stop giggling about that.
1. Everyone looks happy. I know that’s because they’re drinking or generally out of their minds (hello, Teri Hatcher) or because they’re telling themselves, “Who cares? It’s not the Oscars!” — but whatever the reason, it makes for a much more enjoyable viewing experience.
And this year, the other reasons I love the Golden Globes are Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Toni Collette, Jennifer Hudson, Kate Winslet, Mary-Louise Parker and Gillian Anderson. (Those are really more than enough.) See the blog entries for the film nominees and television nominees for some lovely photos.