The Supreme Court is set to hear arguments on the constitutionality of California’s Prop 8 same-sex marriage ban and the Orwellian-named Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).
DOMA prevents the federal government from recognizing any same-sex marriages, even if those marriages took place in states where gay marriage is legal. That can affect insurance and Social Security benefits, hospital visitation rights, and more than 1,000 other federal marriage benefits that same-sex couples are legally denied.
Logo TV has announced its support of the United for Marriage coalition’s campaign to raise awareness and remind the Court and the nation that real, loving couples and families hang in the balance. Logo will be hosting a series of on-air and online events, but there’s also a lot you can do to participate and show your support.
– If you’re in the DC area, join the rally in outside the Supreme Court.
– If you’re not in DC, check out one of the 150 marriage equality events around the nation.
– Wear red on the 26th to show your support.
– If you and your partner have been affected by DOMA or Prop 8, register to participate on Logo’s special United for Marriage Facebook page. Logo will be running a crawl of the names of people who have been affected by these laws, including their home states and the number of years they’ve been together.
– Tweet and post to Instagram using the #UnitedforMarriage hashtag. Logo will be collecting tweets and photos on a special page.
– Check out Logo’s NewNowNext.com website for regular news updates.