After months of hype — and bizarre cross-promotions with Harry Potter on ABC family — Fame hits theaters today. The critics haven’t been kind to the remake so far, but it’s on my to-do list for the weekend because: a) Megan Mullally b) Kherington Payne and c) I never miss a dance movie, no matter how terrible the acting. (For proof, see below.)
If you’ve somehow managed to escape the hype, here’s Fame‘s full-length trailer:
And in honor of the entire genre — from the absurd to the inspiring — we’ve made a list of our favorite dance movies!
11) Step Up 2 the Streets — “I remember the first time I saw someone move like they were from another planet, I couldn’t keep my eyes away.”
10) Center Stage — “I am the best g-dd–n dancer in the American Ballet Academy. Who the hell are you? Nobody.”
9) Honey — “You! You need to call M.C. Hammer and let him know you’re stealing his stuff. Y’all two crazy people in here.”
8) Mad Hot Ballroom — “The problem with dance is girls always think they’re the best.”
7) Coyote Ugly — “But that’s me, you know. I’m the original coyote. Just a small town gal trying to make it in the big bad city.”
6) Save the Last Dance — “That’s OK; I’ll dance in circles — probably around you.“
5) Flashdance — “When you give up your dream, you die.”
4) Saturday Night Fever — “She can dance, you know that? She’s got the wrong partner of course, but she can dance.”
3) Bring It On — “‘Brr, it’s cold in here, there must be some Toros in the atmosphere’? I know you don’t think a white girl made that s–t up.”
2) Footloose — “Even if this was not a law, which it is, I’m afraid I would have a lot of difficulty endorsing an enterprise which is as fraught with genuine peril as I believe this one to be.”
1) Dirty Dancing — “Nobody puts Baby in the corner.”
We know we’ve missed some, so let us know your favorite dance movies in the comments. Who’s planning to see Fame this weekend?