Tyra Sanchez and BeBe Zahara Benet, winners of RuPaul’s Drag Race
DJ Tracy Young
GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios told the audience:
Tonight’s honorees, nominees and award recipients have set new industry standards which underline the value of gay and lesbian consumers. More and more companies are moving toward ads that reflect truly reflect all people and learning that LGBT people should be accepted and respected, not only for their potential buying power, but for their contribution to the American cultural fabric
While LGBT representation on TV continues to grow, the advertising industry has not yet fully embraced our community. Tonight’s nominees and honorees have set new benchmarks in the industry and continue to lead the way in fair, accurate and inclusive LGBT representation in advertising.
Barrios mentioned TV specifically because this year there were no LGBT-inclusive commercials that ran on mainstream television channels. Only Logo (AfterEllen.com’s parent company) ran such commercials, and the campaign was honored by GLAAD at the event.
Winners last night included:
- Corporate Responsibility Award: American Airlines [Accepted by: Betty Young (Director, Diverse Segment Marketing), Art Torno (VP of New York), and George Carrancho (National Sales and Marketing Manager, LGBT Community)]
- Public Visibility Award: Bob Garfield
- Outstanding Print Campaign – Mainstream Market: America’s Top Couple (K-Y Brand)
- Outstanding Print Campaign – LGBT Market: Works in Progress (Progressive Insurance)
- Outstanding Interactive Campaign: The Advocate Money Minute Presented by Wells Fargo (Wells Fargo)
- Outstanding Social Marketing Campaign: SAGECAP: The Caregiver’s Caregiver (SAGE)
The winner of the Outstanding TV Campaign targeting the LGBT Market Award is Levi’s Gay History Month/Logo Leaders Campaign by Levi Strauss & Co. The clips from the campaign are below.
Click here to see the rest of the winners.
Like the oft-repeated mantra "any press is good press," any visibility is good visibility, but great visibility is even better.