After a week of voting, the overwhelming number one winner of The Best Lesbian/Bi Sung Holiday Song Ever is…
The out musician’s 2007 song isn’t a typical Christmas tune. It’s not jolly, nor merry — in fact, it’s downright sad! But there’s no denying how heartfelt it is. It’s more aligned with songs like “Blue Christmas” than “All I Want For Christmas Is You,” with lyrics about staving off the melancholy feelings of a disillusioned relationship until after “the most wonderful time of the year” is over. Brandi’s asking for just a few more days of happiness, a theme not uncommon to some of the best songs that we listen to year round.
Brandi and her bandmates
Photo from Facebook
“The Heartache Can Wait” is only on the compilation album from Hotel Cafe called Winter Songs, which is made up of originals and covers sung by female musicians like Fiona Apple, KT Tunstall and the gorgeous “Winter Song” duet from Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson.
Here are the rest of your Top 10 picks. Put them on a playlist for your Christmas day.
2. Lady Gaga — “Christmas Tree”
3. Tegan and Sara — “Christmas Don’t Be Late”
4. Melissa Etheridge — “Baby Please Come Home”
5. k.d. lang — “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch”
6. Joan Jett — “Little Drummer Boy”
7. Tracy Chapman — “O Holy Night”
8. Indigo Girls — “It Really is (A Wonderful Life)”
9. Catie Curtis — “All I Want for Christmas (Is You)”
10. Vanessa Carlton — “Hear the Bells”