There’s so much delight this afternoon, I don’t even know where to start! (Yes, I do. I’m just trying to play the role of "professional writer" and not "fan girl.")
Oh, well — too late for that!
- The Skins movie! It’s happening! The Guardian has confirmed that Jack Thorne (of Naomi’s episode fame) and Bryan Elsley (of "I’m not the half that killed Freddie" fame) are teaming up to bring a Skins film to the cinema next summer.
Steve Christian, executive producer on the film and chair of the film finance and distribution company CinemaNX, said the show — which few could accuse of presenting a sanitised picture of adolescence — was perfect for the big screen. But he added: "The biggest critics of Skins are the Skins fans so it’s going to be a big challenge. The programme has this incredible fanbase despite all the characters changing."
We’re working to confirm that Naomi and Emily will be in this heaven-sent production. Lily Loveless and Kathryn Prescott have both said they’d love to be a part of it, and with the Naomily Army being what it is, we can’t imagine they’d try to make a movie without the nation’s favorite lesbian couple. Right, Merveille Lukeba? [via The Guardian]
- If you didn’t get a chance to see Portia on Ellen yesterday, we’ve got the full clip for you. Heed my warning from the last time Portia was on Ellen, though, and warm up your heart muscles or you’ll pull something for sure. This time Portia is at Gentle Barn, an animal rescue farm. If you don’t say "Aww" when she says "Oh. I highly recommend hugging a cow!" I’m not sure we can be friends anymore.
- Out designer Patricia Field walked New York Magazine through some of her favorite designs from Sex and the City 2, including one of Carrie’s individual outfits that cost $50,000. She says, "Come on, it’s fantasy!" I say, "Come on, you could pay off my mortgage with those shoes!" [via Vulture]
- President Obama was interrupted with another plea to overturn DADT during a speech yesterday. He answered with a light-hearted, "Maybe he didn’t read the newspapers, because we’re working with Congress as we speak to roll back ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ … C’mon, man, I’m dealing with Congress here. It takes a little bit of time.”
Turns out the man who interrupted Obama is Kip Williams a member of GetEqual. AutoStraddle has Williams’ full press release and some excellent insight into what the current DADT compromise means in a larger context. [via AutoStraddle]
- Let me tell you something about The Devil Wears Prada: I LOVE The Devil Wears Prada. (The movie, not the book.) You can call it formulaic and you can call it trite, but not if you want to watch movies at my house. This morning, the trailer dropped for Aline Brosh McKenna‘s newest film, Morning Glory, and it pushes all of my buttons, including the ones labeled Rachel McAdams, Diane Keaton, chick-flick and musical montage.
- Want to talk to Doctor Who‘s Karen Gillan? (And if not, what’s wrong with you?) The London Times is hosting a web chat with her on Friday, June 4 at 10 am. [via The Times]
- And while we’re talking about the UK (again), Manchester is getting ready to launch Gaydio 88.4FM, the UK’s first dedicated LGBT FM station. They plan to broadcast "a mixture of upbeat music and targeted speech … 24 hours a day." [via PinkNews]
- Apple is the latest company to pull all of their advertising from Fox News, after Glen Beck‘s most recent delusional and homophobic ramblings. So far, Beck’s program alone has lost 200 advertisers this year. [via WaPo]
- CurrentTV is airing a special look at Uganda’s "kill the gays" legislation in tonight’s "Missionaries of Hate." [via AfterElton.com]
- Country music star Blake Shelton got himself into another Twitter war when he gave a late night shout out to Chely Wright: "Sooo….. Chely Wright just came out. Guess this opens the door… I Blake Shelton am a lesbian." He got flamed, of course, and finally said he was just joking around: "I don’t care if Chely Wright is gay. I think she’s hot!!!"
I think she’s three-exclamation-point hot, too. And here’s your pic of the day (courtesy of @col9587) to remind you. (!!!)
Something you want to see in Afternoon Delight? Tweet me: @hhoagie