The Sapphic Music Fan
Does she march to the beat of her own drum machine? Maybe her MP3 collection is so large, it requires it’s own hard drive. If so, you’ve got a majorly queer music fan on your hands. Here are some gifts that will have her singing your praises.
1. Urbanears Harris Tweed Headphones. These super styling headphones are perfect for any music lover on the go. What better way to for her to rock out to the new Taylor Swift album on her morning commute, without the judgment of passersby. ($80)
2. Brandi Carlile Standing Bear T-Shirt. Lesbians dig Brandi Carlile, and frankly, what’s not to love? Her newest album Bear Creek is chock full of the folksy, soulful style she’s famous for. Now the music lover in your life can show her true Brandi fandom in this awesome standing bear T-shirt. It’s made in a soft vintage style with a little bit of stretch, oh and did I mention THERE’S A BEAR on it? Pair it with a couple of concert tickets, and you can get in on the fun too. ($20)
3. Mixtape Laser-Cut Necklace. This super hip acrylic necklace by C.A.B Fayre brings to mind the days when relationships were made and broken through the medium of a perfectly crafted mixtape. Mixtapes have gone the way of the Dodo, but any nostalgic loving and fashion forward rocker chick will turn heads in this killer necklace. Remember, rock ‘n roll isn’t just music, it’s a way of life people. ($20)
4. Little Martin Acoustic Guitar. Does your love play a mean air-guitar, but yearns for something more? Or is the musician in your life always running out the door to their next gig? Either way, this Little Martin Guitar is great for novices and established players alike. Smaller in scale and very lightweight, this guitar is perfect for traveling musicians or for those who just want a quality guitar to learn the fundamentals on. Martin Guitars have been around since the 1830’s so you know they don’t mess around with craftsmanship. ($299)
5. Ladies Rock Camp. Ever wanted to make someone’s dream come true? Ladies Rock Camp has been doing just that for years. Hosted by the Willie Mae Rock Camp for Girls (NYC), Ladies Rock Camp is a weekend long intensive with music instruction in guitar, bass, drums and vocals. Students write their own material, form bands and even play a live showcase. No experience is necessary and the camp welcomes campers who self-identify as female, trans, and gender non-conforming. If the queer music lover in your life is more the philanthropic type, you can donate in their name to Willie Mae or the original Rock and Roll Camp for Girls in Portland, OR. ($390)
— Dana Piccoli