Lesbian Film Fanatic
Look, we all went thorough that “let’s watch every gay movie ever made, even the bad ones, even a Bar Girls phase. So we know you’ve seen lesbian movies. Which can make buying for the true lesbian movie lover a little tricky. She already owns all the usual DVDs, so what can you get her? Well, with a little imagination, some elbow grease and possibly a few frequent flier miles, you can give the perfect gift you’re your favorite film fanatic.
1. Lesbian DVDs. Since she probably already has all the contemporary classics, think outside the everyday DVD box. Give her some old-school subtext instead. Think Morocco (Marlene Dietrich in a tux), Johnny Guitar (Joan Crawford in cowgirl gear) or Calamity Jane (Doris Day in leather caps). ($10-$20)
2. Queer Film Festival Tickets. Many major cities across the country and internationally host LGBT film festivals. Find out for the dates for the 2011 festival and make it a date. Give her vouchers for popcorn and soda as well, because every good date deserves dinner (or a dinner equivalent, considering the cost of movie snacks these days). ($10-$20)
3. Reenact a Scene. Just be sure to make it a good one. Consider the body paint scene from Better Than Chocolate. The coordinated and crafty can find a chain-link fence (preferably in a private area) and do a little Gia modeling session of their own. The clumsy can always try the falling scene from Saving Face. ($0+)
4. Movie Memorabilia. So while it might be hard to get the original props from some of your favorite films, you can get the next best thing. Track down a vintage 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Sunliner (or model of one to be more budget friendly) for Desert Hearts fans. Find those wobbly, round-bottomed shot glasses for When Night is Falling lovers. And for the Fried Green Tomatoes fan in your life, it couldn’t be simpler: Give her a jar of fresh honey (extra bonus you’re-totally-getting-some points if you hand it over while whispering in her ear, “You’re just a bee charmer, Idgie Threadgoode. That’s what you are, a bee charmer.”) ($5 – $1000)
5. On-Site Vacation. Take a trip to a location from your favorite lesbian movie. For maximum cuteness, might I suggest a visit to Primrose Hill in Regent’s Park to sit and snuggle on the same bench as Rachel and Luce in Imagine Me & You. ($0+)
Now get to shopping!