Warning: This post contains spoilers for tonight’s episode of Glee.
If you’ve had your ear pressed against the Internet Machine for the last few days, you’ve heard the buzz that tonight’s Glee is a doozy. I had a chance to watch the full episode, “Shooting Star,” yesterday afternoon, and I’ll be honest with you: I still haven’t quite recovered from it. So, before you sit down to watch tonight, here are seven things you need to know.
1) The episode tackles the “guns in schools” debate with uncharacteristic grace. Glee‘s Very Special Episodes often leave us rolling our eyeballs out of our heads, but “Shooting Star” lands in a way a lot of the show’s other PSAs haven’t. I was so panicked throughout the climax of the episode that I felt like I was going to be sick.
2) The episode is going to make you want a tissue. Or multiple tissues. Or a whole truckload of tissues. The episode’s writer, Matt Hodgson, apparently took some time off after “I Kissed a Girl” to attend the Shonda Rhimes School of Emotional Devastation.
3) The episode is contained to Lima. In fact, the crux of the episode is contained to the New Directions choir room. We don’t see (or even hear about) Santana, Kurt, or Rachel.
4) The episode isn’t going to make Brittana shippers happy. It’s probably going to make most Brittana shippers the exact opposite of happy.
5) The episode isn’t going to make Klaine shippers happy, either. Unlike Brittana shippers, Klaine shippers are probably going to be upset about what doesn’t happen, instead of what does.
6) If you don’t love the New New Directions after tonight, you’ll never love them. I’m not saying your heart will grow three sizes like The Grinch, but I am saying that if you have a heart, it will probably be touched. At least a little.
7) Tonight may be the night we say goodbye to one of AfterEllen/AfterElton’s favorite characters. You’ll know it’s going to happen before it happens, but that doesn’t make it any less impactful.
Buckle up, it’s going to be quite a ride.