A glamorous audience turned out for POWER UP’s eighth annual Power Premiere at Social Hollywood Sunday night in Los Angeles.
As has become the tradition, 10 Amazing Gay Women in Showbiz were honored at the gala, and this year those honorees included:
- Writer, director and executive producer Michaline Babich (Gimme Sugar);
- Director of photography publicity at CBS TV Gaye Ann Bruno;
- Writer and director Cheryl Dunye (The Watermelon Woman, Stranger Inside);
- Executive vice president and general manager at here! Karen Flishcel;
- Executive vice president and executive producer at Sony Pictures Imageworks Jenny Fulle;
- Executive producer (Late Show with David Letterman); writer, director and producer Nancylee Myatt (South of Nowhere, 3Way),
- Executive vide president and general manager at Logo, Lisa Sherman;
- Vice president of development at Face Productions Samantha Sprecher;
- Comedian Suzanne Westenhoefer (A Bottom On Top).
The gala was hosted by Bridget McManus (Brunch with Bridget, Laughing Matters: Next Gen), who, in the tradition of the Academy Awards, also performed a comedic song she wrote ("Yes We Can") in tribute to POWER UP specifically, and, more generally, women in film.
POWER UP’s President of Film Production & Distribution, Lisa Thrasher took the stage before the awards ceremony to formally welcome the attendees and address the undeniable impact of both President-elect Barack Obama’s election victory and the passage of Proposition 8 in California on the lesbian entertainment community and the LGBT community at large.
The event, which in years past included a formal dinner and was held at the Beverly Hills Hotel, was moved this year to the more club-like atmosphere of Social Hollywood.
Throughout the night, attendees mingled over cocktails, bought raffle tickets for a kd lang concert ticket giveaway, and had their pictures taken in a retro-style photo booth set up in a corner of the room.
Some of the women in attendance this year included:
Liz Vassey (CSI, Nikki and Nora), Christina Cox (Better Than Chocolate, Blood Ties), Elizabeth Keener (The L Word), Page Hurwitz (Last Comic Standing), Maile Flanagan (3Way), Briana Stockton (Work Out), Erin Foley (Last Comic Standing), Cathy Shim (3Way) South of Nowhere‘s Maeve Quinlan, Gabrielle Christian and Mandy Musgrave, Jill Bennett (Dante’s Cove, 3Way), Cathy DeBuono, Thea Gill (Dante’s Cove, Queer as Folk),Kristy Swanson (3Way), Berlin front woman Terri Nunn, who gave the introduction for her best friend, Gaye Ann Bruno, comedian Sandra Valls, and AfterEllen.com’s editor-in-chief Sarah Warn and her partner, Lori Grant.
Our photographer, Beck Starr took some lovely photos of the event, and we’ve posted some of them here over the next several pages. Enjoy!