2011 turned out to be a pretty great year for lesbians and bisexual women in all areas of entertainment and media, so it’s exciting that there are so many equally cool things already on the horizon for 2012. Here are 12 books, movies, TV shows and events we are psyched about in the coming year.
1. Rachel Maddow‘s Drift. The out MSNBC TV personality has penned a book about the military for Random House, to be released March 27. “We don’t have a strong connection between the democratic process and the military anymore,” Rachel told Slate of Drift‘s major theme. And who better to write about that than Ms. Maddow?
2. Jack & Diane. The film about two girls (Juno Temple and Riley Keough) who find and fall for each other in New York City before one turns into a werewolf has finally gotten a release date of June 1. Kylie Minogue and Jena Malone also star!
3. The Olympics. For the first time ever, women’s boxing will be included in the summer Olympics. Out lesbian boxer Patricia Manuel will fight for her spot this winter to compete for the U.S. in London. Team USA will also have a strong showing with the women’s soccer team.
4. Amy Ray‘s new album, Lung of Love. The Indigo Girl‘s sixth solo album has some great collaborations with Brandi Carlile, Kaia Wilson and Melissa York. Grab your copy from Amy’s own label, Daemon Records, February 28.
5. The return of Pretty Little Liars. By the end of Season 2, we will learn the identity of A, but will Emily ever find true love? Start watching the drama unfold again on January 2 on ABC Family.
6. Rizzoli & Isles Convention. July 20-22 will be a weekend of #gayzzoli in Anaheim, California when Sasha Alexander, Janet Tamaro and several other special guests join Rizzoli & Isles fans to talk about their favorite show (and couple).
7. Love Life. UK lezzers will get the pleasure of seeing Billie Piper romance her pupil, played by Kaya Scodelario, when the new BBC One series premieres sometime this year. The rest of us will have to find a way to watch it from our computer screens.
8. Are You My Mother? A Comic Drama by Alison Bechdel. The follow-up to Bechdel’s Fun Home will likely be just as depressing, but also just as enticing. The comic artist has a way with bringing her own stories to life that put you right there with her, even though it’s not always a great place to be.
9. Your Sister’s Sister. Queer director Lynn Shelton‘s indie hit stars Emily Blunt and Rosemarie DeWitt as siblings with secrets. Dewitt plays gay, but it doesn’t appear that she’s so closed-minded to other, uh, opportunities. We’ll give this one a shot.
11. Season 2 of Lip Service. We were left with so many unanswered questions at the end of Season 1, especially regarding Frankie, Cat and Sam. There’s still no exact date of its premiere, but we are chomping at the bit.
12. Wanderlust. Jennifer Aniston has a threesome with Malin Akerman and Lauren Ambrose in this new comedy. Will it be funny? Well, it probably won’t be too sexy, as Lauren’s character is pregnant.
What are you looking forward to in 2012?